Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2022

The gift of a missionary vocation


 Thinking about Saint Philippine Duchesne and her great desire to go to America and convert the native Americans, I am in admiration that she was able to convince St. Madeleine Sophie to let her go so far away when the Society of the Sacred Heart had only been founded in 1800 and Philippine had only heard of it four years later. It took courage on the part of Sophie as well as Philippine. It was not an easy beginning as the house the Bishop had rented for them in St. Charles was not in good condition and had more doors than windows. It was too small but they made do and soon had many day students from St. Charles and they also had a small boarding school. It was not easy to travel from St. Louis to St. Charles as this was before a bridge was built to cross the Missouri river in front of the convent. The first year was so cold that the river froze. The Bishop realized that they could not stay in St. Charles and moved them to a farm he owned on the other side of the river, nearer to St. Louis. 

The point I am trying to make is that a missionary vocation is a gift and the hardships are part of it. I feel so blessed and grateful for being sent to Chile as a missionary. I left Rome after final profession and was sent directlyh to Chile without knowing the language and without returning to the States to say goodbye to my parents who had been counting the days until my return after my year in Rome.

I found that Philippine gave me courage so often when faced with difficulties and I still pray to her for her apostolic courage.

No comments: