Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Thinking about Thanksgiving


 I suspect that the turkeys are not as happy as we are about Thanksgiving. It has become a norm in the United States to have turkey on Thanksgiving. I suspect that I have told the story of my experience one year in Chile. I had been there ten years and was now head of the school and my Dad thought I should have turkey on Thanksgiving. He sent a check and said it was to be used for turkey, so the treasurer was told by my superior to please get turkey for the community. She called me on Wednesday morning and said she had been out to do the shopping and my turkey was in the van. I went out to bring it in and found two live turkeys!! I was really astonished when I saw them. I managed to get them into the kitchen and hoped the Sister cook would know what to do. She immediately took them out and killed them and hung them up and told me to come back later to pick the feathers off the bodies so she could cook them the next day. Other Sisters helped me to do this task and I wanted to stuff the turkeys myself so I went early the next morning to the kitchen only to find the turkeys were in the oven. The Sister assured me that she had taken care of stuffing the two turkeys. I envisioned dressing, but in Chile they just put an apple and an orange inside the turkey and cook it that way. I thought it made for delicious  moist turkey and we did have a great dinner. I also told my Dad that once was enough for that gift!

Let us thank God for such helps as wonderful boxes of stuffing found in our grocery stores. We did make the dressing from scratch when I was home and my Dad always asked to have celery included!

Make a list of things to thank for today!

No comments: