Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Thinking about Philippine Duchesne


 Saint Philippine Duchesne established the Society of the Sacred Heart in America when she opened the first school in St. Charles, Missouri in 1818. My grandmother graduated from there in 1900 and had an older sister and a younger sister also graduate from there. I was fortunate to also graduate from the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles in 1948. My sister started there the September after I graduated. I loved being a weekly boarder and fell in love with Mother Duchesne and believe she was very close to all of us. She was still buried in the little Chapel in front of the convent and, as I am sure I have mentioned often, I was one who went out every night to help close the shrine after we prayed to Philippine. 

I have been thinking of those cold nights when we braved the snow or rain to reach the shrine, often wrapped in the huge black shawls that were found on hooks in the little cupboard under the stairs. That was the only time we were every allowed to touch the shawls kept there, but I still remember the good feeling it gave us to be more like Philippine going out in the snow to pray at the shrine.

When I was at school, Philippine was called "Blessed" as she was not yet canonized, but we knew she was a saint. I felt that she was very close to me and had an interest in all I did. I still feel that way and love preparing for her feast. It was November 17th until she was canonized and now is November 18th so I celebrate both days!

No comments: