Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lord, I am not worthy, but ...


Jesus told the centurion in today's Gospel that he would come and heal the Centurion's servant. The centurion said, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed."

I say almost those same words at every Liturgy; I even sing them in the Sunday liturgy: "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."
I think that I really believe the part of not being worthy; I know that I am not. I also know that Jesus only has to say the word and I am healed. But, have I really the faith to believe that Jesus heals me each time I say those words and mean them? The centurion was praised for his faith. Jesus said to him "as you have believed, let it be done for you." At that very moment his servant was healed!
Jesus goes to the house of Peter. He finds Peter's mother-in-law in bed with fever; he touches her and the fever leaves her and she gets up and waits on Jesus! When it was evening, Jesus cures all the sick that are brought to him. Matthew tells us that this was "to fulfill what had been said by Isaiah the prophet, 'He took away our infirmities and bore our diseases.'"
He still is doing this when we have faith. He always asks for faith and trust in his love for us. Then he works miracles in our lives!

No comments: