Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

An Encounter with Christ



For me, the Sacrament of Reconciliation is a real encounter with Christ. Just as I feel that Jesus waits for me in the Sacrament of the Eucharist, I also feel that He waits for me in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. It is a joyful encounter with Jesus as He loves to forgive me and embraces me with His love. He wants to help me and so has arranged the opportunity to confess my sins, failings, weaknesses and start over to try to live with and like Him - it is the grace of the Sacrament.

It makes me more sensitive to what pleases Jesus; it helps me to be accountable; it makes me reflect on how I am living my consecrated life; it is a tremendous help to see how I am to grow in union and conformity with the Heart of Jesus.

Since now the penitent may begin by using a Scripture passage, I will suggest a couple that are helpful for me. These first two are from the Book of Sirach:

"My child, if you have sinned, do so no more, and for your past sins pray to be forgiven." (Sirach 21:1)

"For the Lord is compassionate and merciful; forgives sins and saves in time of trouble. (Sirach 21:11)

"The Lord's acts of mercy are not exhausted, his compassion is not spent;
They are renewed each morning--great is your faithfulness!
                       (Lamentations: 3:22-23)

"Let us search and examine our ways and return to the Lord."
                                  (Lamentations 3:40)

No comments: