Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Thoughts on this Feast

"For God so loved the world..."
Today we celebrate the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. 
The Entrance Antiphon tells us that "we should glory in the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ, in whom is our salvation, life and resurrection, through whom we are saved and delivered."

Catholic homes used to have a Crucifix on the wall in many rooms; many Catholic schools still have one in every classroom. Today we celebrate the reason why we venerate the Cross. In the Gospel we read that " just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life."
The Preface for today's feast, tells us that God " placed the salvation of the human race on the wood of the cross"...
I have a small cross sent to me by Reverend Mother Benziger from Rome when I was in Chile with the message that I was never to give it up but always keep it with me.  It gives me great comfort; I am holding it in my hand as I write on my I-pad this morning. Here is a picture of my small cross that has brought me such consolation for over 53 years! (Guess I have not learned how to get this from I-pad to blog, sorry but maybe it will appear tomorrow.)


              

No comments: