Search This Blog

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sunday Thoughts: Mater and Marge



This picture of Mater is familiar to every child of the Sacred Heart. The original was painted on the wall in the corridor of the Trinita dei Monti in 1844; soon it was a Chapel to honor her as Mater began to grant many favors and miracles. Her picture or stature is found in every school of the Society of the Sacred Heart and her feast is celebrated on October 20. Yesterday, I was present at the Mass for the alumnae at Carrollton and thought of all the graces I have received from Mater from the time I was a child at school until now.

Tonight we will have the wake for one of my community, Marge Seitz, who died suddenly on Wednesday night. It was a shock and I have not yet recovered from it. She had been so cheerful and even cooked for us on Wednesday. I think she must have returned to the kitchen to put away the soup she had made that was left over and too hot to put away earlier. She may have had a heart attack and fell. I had gone to bed at ten o'clock and she heard her getting ready for bed before that in her room. The other member of the community was watching television and heard a noise in the kitchen but did not go to investigate and so it was almost 11:00 before she thought she saw something on the kitchen floor and thought I must have fallen. When she turned on the light, she saw it was Marge and she was not breathing. She woke me, called 911 and they came and could not revive her. The police were here until after 4:00 in the morning. My first thought was to call a priest to come and we were able to do that. He anointed her and then the medical examiner arrived and began asking questions. Another policeman came and took photos, etc. I am sure that Marge went straight to God and I am even happy for her, but it has left me feeling disorientated and it is hard to concentrate. I did feel her presence at the Mass for Mater.
Her memorial card has a picture of Mater and this beautiful prayer:

Lord, God, You are attentive to the voice of our pleading. Let us turn to Mary and ask for comfort in our sadness, certainty in our doubt, courage to live through this hour. May our faith be strong and our love demonstrative, we ask this through Christ our Lord.

No comments: