Search This Blog

Thursday, December 7, 2017

How to "create" silence


I am scheduling ahead; that is always dangerous but gives me great peace of mind. I really want us to embrace silence; that means that we are fully centered on what we have to do, but that we also have so many thoughts running around in our heads that need to be organized so to be able to silence them.

We had a lovely day of retreat last Saturday planned by some of us. I was struck by the questions taken from Pope Francis' Apostolic Letter to All Consecrated People. He calls for all Religious to embrace joy. Do I radiate joy? I know that I try to as I really feel that my vocation within my vocation to the Society of the Sacred Heart is to give joy to Jesus and to others. I do not always succeed, but I know it is important for me to keep trying.
The second question asks if I recognize the face of Christ and rejoice in the knowledge that I am being conformed to him who out of love for us did not refuse the suffering of the cross? That is hard in the face of suffering but I trust the Lord to give me strength for whatever He asks of me.
The next question needs some reflection: In a society which exalts the cult of efficiency, fitness and success, one which ignores the poor and dismisses "losers" do I witness by my life to the truth of the words of Scripture: "When I am weak, then I am strong"? Does my life radiate the joy and beauty of living the gospels and following Christ to the full?
The last question is about how to clear out the obstacles and open a path of charity for the advent of our God?

You do not need to be a consecrated Religious to reflect on these questions!

No comments: