Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2022

First Friday and April Fool's Day


 

I am not sure what mischief will be around today, but it is good to remember that it is April Fool's Day.

It is also the First Friday and I have been reading the life of Pedro Arrupe. I think I mentioned before that the title of this book is Pedro Arrupe: Witness of the Twentieth Century, Prophet of the Twenty-First, by Pedro Miguel Lamet. I is almost 500 pages, but I am loving it. He had great devotion to the Heart of Jesus and helped others to have it also.

I have just finished another book that I loved and read in just a few days this week. It is the life of Mother Xavier Murphy, RSCJ, who came to America in 1822 and spent the years until her death at Grand Coteau, Louisiana. Most of that time she was superior and had a great influence on that part of Louisiana. The title of the book is Anna Xavier Murphy, RSCJ: (1793-1836) Missionary to Louisiana and the authors are Mary Blish, RSCJ and Carolyn Osiek, RSCJ. It was published for the bicentennial of our school in Grand Coteau, but we did not have any copies here until I asked and received this one from Sister Osiek. I am most grateful and it has now been given to our library so others may enjoy it.

Xavier Murphy was a holy Religious of the Sacred Heart that worked tirelessly to spread the faith in Louisiana. The boarding school flourished under her direction and she had a very small community. She was able to receive 100 boarders when she built the rest of the beautiful building that one can see today. 

No comments: