Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Feast of St. Louis

 


One of the few buildings left from the World's Fair is the Art Museum and the statue of King Louis of France who was canonized and is the patron of St. Louis. To find this picture, I got involved in the entire history of the 1904 World's Fair. My grandfather was President of General Electric and so did all the lighting for the Fair. My Dad was six years old and often went with his father to the World Fair and his picture is in the Jefferson Memorial which was built with the money the World Fair earned for St. Louis. 

My Dad was born on August 25 so I think it was fascinating to read how the World Fair was held in St. Louis. This city at that time was the fifth largest in the United States. I lived near the cite of the Fair and could still enjoy Forest Park. We would go sledding on Art Hill and ice-skating on the lagoon in the winter. In the summer we could rent canoes or sit on the hillside and watch the colored fountains. I did not do much research on King Louis as I got carried away by the history of 1904! 

No comments: