Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time


 Before I say something about the Sunday Liturgy, I want to tell you that I will be going to Villa Maria del Mar in Santa Cruz tomorrow for three nights, a birthday present from my spirituality group that I have been looking forward to and I intend to just be with the Lord and watch the ocean. I do not need to do anything, but I will take the retreat handouts with me. Our June retreat seems far away. I will be leaving you a quote for each day next week to ponder and I do ask your prayer. I will be gone from Monday to Thursday.

Now for the Liturgy of Sunday. I think I will start with the Responsorial Psalm which is a real cry:

"Lord, come to my aid!" Here are some of the verses from Psalm 40

"I have waited, waited for the Lord, and he stooped toward me.

The Lord heard my cry. He drew me out of the pit of distruction out of the mud of the swamp; he set my feet upon a crag; he made firm my steps.

And he put a new song into my mouth, a hymn to our God..."

The first reading is from the Prophet Jeremiah 38:4-6, 8-10

This reading has Jeremiah thrown into the cistern where there was only mud and Jeremiah sank into the mud. However, God allowed Ebed-melech to speak to the King who then ordered that Jeremiah should be removed from the cistern before he should die.

The second reading is from the Letter to the Hebrews: 12:1-4

Paul urges us to keep running the race, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus.

The Gospel is from Luke 12: 49-53 and begins by Jesus saying: "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!

Tomorrow is the Feast of the Asumption of Mary; it is not a Holy Day of Obligation in 2022 because it is on a Monday this year.

No comments: