Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Something to try


 I was sent an idea that I am passing on to you today. I think it is an aspect of "tonglen" which stresses seeing yourself in need of comfort and compassion. You place whatever is lonely, or grieving, or just confused, into your left hand and gently stroke it with your right hand, offering the compassion to make it better. Stroking the hurting part of you with tenderness and compassion acknowledges that you see in yourself something that is not as you wish it to be. 

This can be done with anything we see and do not want to there and do not know how to get rid of it. It is by embracing it that healing and compassion can be activated. Compassion is within us and we need to practice giving it to ourselves in order to be able to give it to others. 

I shared this with my Westwood Community at our evening prayer and told them they may see me in the Chapel stroking my left hand. I think this may be helpful and urge all to give it a try.

No comments: