Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A God of Surprises Who Likes Suprises!


Here are a few thoughts from the book I am reading, "The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life" by James Martin, S.J.:

God is both a God of surprises and the God who waits for us to surprise him!
Martin quotes Ron Hansen's great spiritual novel, Mariette in Ecstasy.
Mariette says that God still communicates with her: "We try to be formed and held and kept by him, but instead he offers us freedom. And now when I try to know his will, his kindness floods me, his great love overwhelms me, and I hear him whisper, Surprise me."

The beginning of the the path to finding God is awareness. "Not simply awareness of the ways that you can find God, but an awareness that God desires to find you."

I will have more to say about that later as James Martin has quite a bit on the Ignatian examen as a way of prayer; it is certainly also a way to be aware of God and his desire for us.

No comments: