Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hey


This is a poem I love by Rumi, a great 13th century poet:

The grass beneath a tree is content and silent.

A squirrel holds an acorn in its praying hands,
offering thanks, it looks like.

The nut tastes sweet; I bet the prayer spiced it up somehow.

The broken shells fall on the grass,
and the grass looks up and says, "Hey."

And the squirrel looks down and says, "Hey."

I have been saying "Hey" lately too, to God.

Formalities just weren't working.

1 comment:

AC said...

Hey, dear Sister Helen! I came across this post of yours today and was inspired to include Rumi's poem on my own blog at http://hcikfs.blogspot.com/. I look forward to returning to your blog later and reading it at length.

Easter joy to you and yours,
Alice Claire Mansfield
Consecrated Virgin
Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston