Search This Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2010

"I fell down at his feet"


Tomorrow is Divine Mercy Sunday. I looked in my "Living with Christ" and then in the "Magnificat" for some history of this and did not find any. I guess I need to go to the web to find this information. In the meantime, looking over the readings for Sunday, I was struck by the passage that meant so much to me at one time that I kept praying over it. It is from the Book of Revelation, the second reading for Sunday's Liturgy: "When I caught sight of him, I fell down at his feet as though dead. He touched me with his right hand and said, "Do not be afraid. I am the first and the last, the one who lives. Once I was dead, but now I am alive forever and ever."

It was years ago that this passage spoke to me so strongly; now I only remember the experience of returning to it in prayer for a long time. I think I felt that my place was at the feet of Jesus; there was a deep realization that he is the first and the last, the "one who lives" and that he reaches out and touches me.

I read that trust is the "substrate of mercy". I do not know much about Saint Faustina, but devotion to the Heart of Christ puts us in touch with his mercy and asks for our trust.

No comments: