Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2012

"What would you have me do for you?"

This picture is one artist's idea of Jesus on the shore with breakfast ready to serve to his apostles who have been fishing all night and caught nothing. They are tired and discouraged until Jesus calls to them and tells them to let down their nets another time; they do it and the net is suddenly filled with fish.
Now, what does this have to do with this Sunday's Gospel? I was struck with the ambition of John and James who want to ask Jesus to favor them. When they approach Jesus, He asks them, "What would you have me do for you?" I think He asks us this same question and hopes that we will want what He wants - God is love and wants us to love one another as He loves us. I think we need to find ways of expressing our desire to grow in love each day - love of God, love of neighbor, and love of self for we are the dwelling place of God.

I am loving Illia Delio's "Ten Evenings With God" and started thinking of what I would choose to write about if I had "Ten Mornings with God"? Of course, the truth is that I have every morning with God and again I am back to the gift of my retreat and realize what an amazing grace it is that Jesus chooses to sit with me every time I am in prayer!! He also chooses to sit with you, so let Him. He wants us to allow Him to love us!!

No comments: