Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

Come, Lord Jesus, come!

When I was at boarding school we used to sing as we walked in the files to our classes during Advent. We sang in Latin, "Veni, veni, Domine Jesu,  Veni, veni, nole tardare." I have no idea if I am remembering correctly now after over sixty some years and I may not know how to write it, but it still sings in my head as soon as Advent arrives.
"Come, o come, Lord Jesus; come and do not delay!"  At the time, I thought it a great idea to sing as otherwise we were in silent files going to and from our classes; now I see it as a real Advent prayer and I am grateful for the fact that it seems to come back to me so easily to move around with this singing in my head - something about my memory associating it with Advent so it just pops up and is really an expression of my desire for Jesus.

When I look back on my days at the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles, I am filled with both gratitude and joy. Our school song at the time said, as I remember, "there is a home where sunny laughter combines most merrily with our tears"  - and I do remember too times when I shed tears but both disappointments turned out to be real graces for me. I am convinced that when one thing does not work out for me, it is because God has something better planned for me.

This comes from the NCR's article:
...the time of Advent offers us an opportunity to dive deeply into a counter-cultural time of quiet reflection, a space of hopeful and patient waiting and discernment about how God's incarnation has meaning and is at work in our world today. I like the opportunity to dive deeply into a counter-cultural time of quiet reflection as well as hopeful and patient waiting and discernment about how God's incarnation has meaning and is at work in our world today!

We talked about intimacy with Jesus in the Advent retreat; He is always with us and loving us and desiring our good. Let us remember to turn to Him more often during this Advent. Remember that it is an amazing grace that Jesus chooses to be with us as our friend, lover, companion.

No comments: