Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pentecost Sunday

Today we ask the Holy Spirit to come to us again with all the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit. He knows what we need and wants to give us his light, fortitude, wisdom, and joy and everything else we need to allow God to love us and to respond to God's love.
I was praying about the role of the Holy Spirit in my own life. I think the Spirit really does pray in us. We do not know how to pray; actually, it is the Spirit who leads me into a deep stillness where I find God and allow God to love me. This is possible because of the Spirit; I am so easily distracted and have so many thoughts flying through my head. However, I really believe the Spirit comes and takes my heart and puts it into the Heart of Jesus. Alas, this does not always describe my prayer, but I am grateful for the times I am able to sink deep into the Heart of Christ and there find all I need.
I hope that was written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit as I did not mean to write that at all! I guess it is because I woke up thinking about my own relationship with the Holy Spirit and how my own prayer has developed over the years. The great grace of consciously developing a relationship with each of the three Divine Persons in the Trinity during those months at the Trinita dei Monti in Rome has certainly marked me and has stayed with me now for over 54 years!
I suggest that you reflect with the Spirit today how you are being led in prayer and beg the Spirit for the gifts and fruits you need especially this year. We usually draw the gifts and fruits in community - it is part of our way of celebrating Pentecost.

No comments: