Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

50 Ways To Pray

Every once in a while, I pick up a book called "50 Ways to Pray: Practices from Many Traditions and Times" by Teresa A. Blythe. I thought I might share a few as I get ready for the Busy Persons' Retreat. I should begin by saying that these ways of prayer are often helpful but that I am convinced there are as many ways to pray as there are people out there trying to pray. Still, it helps to be reminded that there are many ways that actually have steps described to help one try the prayer; at different times, various kinds of prayer are useful. Many of us now do Centering Prayer or a Prayer of Christian Meditation but even that is often combined with a type of Lectio Divina. Actually there are nine heading with about five or seven ways to prayer under each. I will give only the titles of the Chapters today:
Chapter 1. Biblical Reflections
Chapter 2. Contemplative Practices
Chapter 3. Lectio Divinas
Chapter 4. Life Reflections
Chapter 5. Discernment Processes
Chapter 6. Body Prayers
Chapter 7. Prayers of the Imagination
Chapter 8. Reflections on Media
Chapter 9. Praying for Others

Tomorrow I will share something from the first chapter as it is always good to really learn how to dialogue with Scripture in different ways.



No comments: