Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Be daring! Use all your potential!

The Holy Spirit has enkindled a spirit of adventure in me today. I think it is because I recalled the saint we celebrate today: St. Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179) who was declared a Doctor of the Church in 2012. I loved teaching students about this very gifted mystic. She was an abbess and foundress of a Benedictine convent, a prophet and preacher, musician and composer, poet and artist, doctor and pharmacist - I do not know if she also was a cook, but think I remember that she left recipes. She was way ahead of her times as this quote shows: "All living creatures are sparks from the radiation of God's brilliance, and these sparks emerge from God like the rays of the sun. If God did not give off these sparks, how would the divine flame become fully visible?"
She saw the cosmos as emanations of God's love. We are to be co-creators with God in shaping the world.

No comments: