Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pray as You Can, not as you Can't!



It seems to me that the way we pray best is the best way for us to pray. My experience in giving spiritual direction now for over forty years tells me this is true. I am afraid that my morning hour of prayer is often such a hodge-podge - but, if it works, I am happy. I also feel blessed because I wake up with the desire to pray each morning. Sometimes I begin with reflecting on the previous day as I write my Gratitude Journal (sometimes I have done this the night before); then, I almost always look at the readings of the day and may stay with one line or thought from them and that may lead to Centering Prayer for the next half hour or I may find myself going back to something I have read the day before, or reading the Pope's homily or just sitting in the Presence of the Lord and letting my mind and heart be still. I spend a short time in praying for peace and for those who have asked my prayers or need prayer. Then I see that more than an hour has passed and I am usually feeling reluctant to finish this lovely hour or more that I have each morning. Now, I think this was different when I had to leave for the University each morning, but not very different as I just rose earlier. I think the difference in my prayer is that I spend much more time in silence.
Well, I do not know why I have written all this today, but I guess I have been thinking how each one prays according to their own personality, circumstances, etc. There is no one way to pray!
Let me end with a quote from Thomas Merton: "How does an apple ripen? It just sits in the sun." I think of that often and then hear the words. "Be still and know that I am God."

No comments: