Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Prepare for Joy



How do you prepare for joy?

Today is the Feast of the Purification of Our Lady and the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple. Certainly Simeon and Anna had been preparing for the joy of this encounter with Jesus.

I find that I sometimes take joy for granted; I guess I have not thought of "preparing" for joy. Joy is a gift of the Holy Spirit. We all have it. Some show it, cultivate it, more than others. I know that when I made the hockey varsity as a freshman in college, one of the seniors,whom I admired greatly, gave me the nickname "Smiley'; when everyone on the team started calling me that, I am sure I was really smiling at everything. It was a joyous time, but I hope I have been able to keep the habit and others return smiles and so I guess this is one way for preparing for joy. I also think it helps to banish the thoughts that cause one to fret, worry without knowing what will happen, or the thoughts that one might have of being neglected, or not listened to - just pack up your troubles and smile, smile, and you will give joy to others.
Remember my favorite quotation from St. Madeleine Sophie is "Be humble, be simple, and give joy to others."

Gratitude is one way I prepare for joy - a grateful person is a joyful one!

No comments: