Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time



First, let us look at the Collect to know what we are praying for today: "May your grace, O Lord, we pray, at all times go before us and follow after and make us always determined to carry our good works."

The first reading is from the Book of Wisdom and we would be wise to pay attention and value the gift of wisdom. Here are the first lines: "I prayed, and prudence was given me; I pleaded, and the spirit of wisdom came to me..."
The last line is "yet all good things together came to me in her company, and countless riches at her hands.  (Wisdom 7:7-11)

I love the responsorial psalm's refrain: "Fill us with your love, O Lord, and we will sing for joy." That will make a good "walking prayer" for the week!

The reading from Hebrews tells us that "Indeed the word of God is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart...."

The Gospel has Jesus looking on the young man who asked him what he must do to inherit eternal life? Jesus looks on him with love, but this young man, even though he had kept all the commandments, was not able to respond to Jesus who told him: "You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." The Gospel tells us that he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

It makes me look around my little room and wonder what Jesus thinks of all I have. I am getting more instead of less and my closet is full. I need to take time to go through all and give away what is really not needed. 

No comments: