Search This Blog

Friday, May 8, 2020

The whole earth is an altar

I thought this would be a helpful picture for those who are having to stay inside. I love redwoods and have two huge ones just outside my window.

Father Pierre de Chardin, S. J.’s prayer is as poignant for us now, as it was for him then.

"Since once again, Lord,…I have neither bread, nor wine, nor
 altar, I will raise myself beyond these symbols….I will make 
the whole earth my altar and on it will offer You all the labors
 and sufferings of the world.  Over there, on the horizon, the sun
 has just touched with light the outermost fringe of the eastern
 sky.  Once again, beneath this moving sheet of fire, the living
 surface of the earth wakes and trembles, and once again begins 
its fearful travail.  I will place on my paten, O God, the harvest 
to be won by this renewal of labor.  Into my chalice I shall pour
 all the sap which is to be pressed out this day from the earth’s
 fruits". 



No comments: