Search This Blog

Saturday, October 3, 2020

First Saturday

 Ronald Rolheiser began his article in the San Francisco Catholic by quoting Michael Buckley and pointing our the challenge that these words contain.

"The excusable doesn't need to be excused and the inexcusable cannot be excused."

Father Rolheiser went on to say that we are always trying to excuse the excusable - the things we do not need to make excuses for and forever trying to excuse the inexcusable. He says that neither is necessary or helpful. 

He also says that apologies are necessary because that is taking ownership of "the fault or weakness so as to lift it completely off the soul of the one who was betrayed, but excuses are not helpful."

This has given me something to ponder today and so I pass it on to you.

Here is the first verse of a prayer that was composed by Therese of Lisieux:

My Holy Guardian Angel, cover me with your wing.

With your fire light the road that I am taking.

Come direct my steps...help me. I call upon you just for today."


It is also the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi so here is his prayer:

Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.



No comments: