Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Saint Bruno, Founder of the Carthusian Order

 St. Bruno founded La Grande Chartreuse, for a new religious order know as the Carthusians. They followed the Rule of St. Benedict but adopted a hermit life that was very contemplative. Even today, they live alone in their cells supporting themselves by solitary work unless necessary to help one another in the fields. 

To go back to some simple thoughts from Bill Barry, SJ which always lead me into prayer, he speaks of how God desires a relationship with us and asks us to apply what we know of human relationships to our relationship with God. He quotes one of my favorite passages from Saint-Exupery's "Little Prince". It is where the fox instructs the Little Prince how to go about establishing a friendship with him. He tells him that he must be very patient...


and that it would be better for him to come back at the same hour for "If  you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you...one must observe the proper rites."

I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me in my relationship with Jesus. 

No comments: