Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Monica and David

This was directed by a Carrollton alumna and is one of the most moving videos I have seen and one of the highlights of the week for me. I think the link above will work. Here is a link to the movie, I think, or at least pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?profile=1&id=10150109159170075#!/photo.
Monica & David Trailer
MONICA & DAVID explores the marriage of two adults with Down syndrome and the family who strives to support their needs. Monica and David are blissfully in love and want what other adults have—an independent life. Full of humor, romance and everyday family drama, the film uses intimate fly-on-the wall footage to reveal the complexity of their story. While Monica and David are capable beyond expectations, their parents, aware of mainstream rejection of adults with intellectual disabilities, have trouble letting go.
It was shown on Friday morning before the seminars at the AASH Conference. It is something that anyone who has any connection with a family with a Down syndrome child should see.
Now for a reflection on my prayer this morning. Most of the time was spent in just sitting in gratitude for all the graces of the past week, but I did pick up an old book entitled "These Forty Days: Lenten Exercises" by Rev. John P. Henry. I suspect that I have had it since it was first published by Ave Maria Press in 1988. What I like is the format. Each day begins with the question: "What does God say to Me Today?" followed by comments on the Liturgical readings of the day. Then there is "Today's Retreat Focus" which is usually a brief comment on the readings and then "Today's Prayer Focus" - all of which one can do for oneself without a book, but I think I will try asking myself each day as I use the special Lenten readings, What is God trying to say to me today? And then just listen!

No comments: