Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sometimes we just need to hold onto God

One of my last days at Oakwood when I was just sitting in the Chapel I looked into my Magnificat and saw that the :Meditation of the Day" was one of my favorite poems by Jessica Powers. It seemed to me that it was just what I needed at the right moment and now I pass it on to you.

The Garments of God

God sits on a chair of darkness in my soul.
He is God alone, supreme in His majesty.
I sit at His feet, a child in the dark beside Him;
my joy is aware of His glance and my sorrow is tempted
to nest on the thought that His face is turned from me.
He is clothed in the robes of mercy; voluminous garments-
not velvet or silk and affable to the touch,
but fabric strong for a frantic hand to clutch,
and I hold to it fast with the fingers of my will.
Here is my cry of faith, my deep avowal
to the Divinity that I am dust.
Here is the loud profession of my trust.
I need not go abroad
to the hills of speech or the hinterlands of music
for a crier to walk in my soul where all is still.
I have this potent prayer through good or ill;
here in the dark I clutch the garments of God.

I hope you like this as much as I do!

No comments: