Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time


Let us look first at the Collect for today's Liturgy:
"O God, who cause the minds of the faithful to unite in a single purpose, grant your people to love what you command and to desire what you promise, that, amid the uncertainties of this world, our hearts may be fixed on that place where true gladness is found."

The First Reading is from the Book of the Prophet Isaiah and begins: "Thus says the Lord: I know their works and their thoughts, and I come to gather nations of every language; they shall come and see my glory...." (Is 66:18-21)

The Gospel is Luke 13:22-30 and Jesus talks about how we need to strive to enter through the narrow gate, but many will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough. "After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, 'Lord, open the door for us.'  And he will say "I do not know where you are from.'

There is more, of course, but it is a stern warning that we all need to heed.
Today was my Dad's birthday and always the last party of the summer. He would wait up for me to come home and make sure we were all safely home for the night and this Gospel made me think of him waiting for me to come home.

No comments: