Search This Blog

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Feast of the Visitation


The last day of May has always been a feast of Our Lady, or so I think as I was born on this day 76 years ago, a Sunday morning. It was the feast of Our Lady, Mediatrix of All Grace; then it was the feast of the Queenship of Mary; and now it is the Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth and my favorite.
Mary goes with haste to see her cousin, Elizabeth. She believed the angel and knows that she will be able to help Elizabeth. She is the first missionary as she takes Jesus with her and Jesus communicates with the baby in the womb of Elizabeth who leaped for joy when Mary greeted Elizabeth. Then the words of both women have come down to us. "Blessed art thou among women and blesed is the fruit of thy womb" and Mary's wonderful Magnificat beginning "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord..."
Tonight I am giving a presentation on prayer and beginning with a short prayer service, then a PowerPoint presentation and two prayer exercises. One is a fantasy exercise and ends with Jesus giving a gift. I think that my gift from Jesus is a pair of glasses (I no longer wear glasses) that are invisible but allow me to see the gifts of others, my own faults, and the many daily gifts that I receive from Jesus and that both make me grateful and full me with joy. These invisible glasses will keep me seeing gifts, thanking and rejoicing as I start a new year of life.

No comments: