Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2007

Seek the values that bring eternal joy



The opening prayer in today's liturgy started my reflection: "Father, help us to seek the values that will bring us eternal joy in this changing world. In our desire for what you promise make us one in mind and heart."
What are the values that bring eternal joy?Again, in the Gospel, Jesus tells us: "Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him." How do we show that we love Jesus? He tells us that whoever keeps his commandments is the one who loves him. But we know that God has loved us first and gives us the grace to keep the commandments so we are loved by Jesus and he reveals himself to us. How is Jesus revealing himself to me now?
Today's Gospel ends with the promise that the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, "will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you."
Perhaps the gifts and fruits of the Spirit are the values that give eternal joy.

Pentecost is less than three weeks away so let us renew our joy in the joy of our risen Lord and let the alleluias of the Easter season echo throughout our day! And may we recognize Jesus revealing himself to us today!

No comments: