Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Remain in me, as I remain in you.

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.


When Jesus asks us to abide in him as he abides in us, he means it. We cannot bear fruit unless we remain in him. What keeps me from this union with Jesus? I ask the Father to prune me so that I may bear more fruit. This Gospel is one that calls me a deep realization that without Jesus I can do nothing. He tells me that if I am in him, I may ask for whatever I want ... Lord, that I may bear much fruit.

No comments: