Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Water



The image of water brings Baptism to mind; the Sacrament that gave us God's life in us. We are baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit and every time we see water we can renew the spirit of our Baptismal vows by affirming that we are God's and belong to a God of love. Water cleanses, restores, renews and we cannot live without it.

I guess we have been praying for water in South Florida (and many other parts of the world). Our resevoir is a lake that is getting near the record low and so we are rationed in our use of water until we have a great deal of rain. We have had fires because of the drought. It makes us realize what a gift water is.

When I pray, I often use an image of water to help center me. Sometimes I like to contemplate the vast ocean as a symbol of God's love. It is immense and gives me a sense of the infinite. Other times I go down deep into a pool of still water and find God in the depths of that stillness. I love Miami because we are always aware of water in our canals, lakes, rivers and ocean. Of course, it makes driving an art of knowing how to get across the rivers and canals.

No comments: