Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

God wants to forgive us

After reading the two excellent articles on the Sacrament of Reconciliation in last week's America, I set up an appointment to receive the Sacrament. I am one of those who still want to receive the grace of this Sacrament at least a few times each year. It is good to look back as we are finishing a period of the year; it is good to take stock of the ways our lives are going. I think that we are invited to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation not only during the seasons of Advent and Lent, but before some Feasts and special anniversaries. The Sacrament calls us to conversion and gives us the grace to make a difference in our lives for we so often fail to do the good we want to do and do the evil we do not want, as St. Paul tells us.
Sometimes we hesitate to ask for the Sacrament, but God is waiting to forgive us. Maybe we do not know what to say and need to ask Jesus to show us. When I do this, I see the times I have acted to please myself, the times I have not consulted God, the times I have failed to thank, the times I have failed to love. Then my heart tells me that I want to ask forgiveness in a more concrete way and receive it through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. God waits for me; God wants to forgive; God loves to forgive us. What are we waiting for?

No comments: