Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2007

We have come to believe in God's love



"We have come to believe in God's love."
In these words, Benedict XVI says we can express the fundamental decision of our lives. Being Christian is the result of our encounter with an event, a person, which gives our life a "new horizon and a "decisive direction.

St. John's Gospel describes this event:
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should. . .have eternal life."
(Jn 3:16)

The above is from the Encyclical, Deus Caritas Est and below is my own reflection.

I believe in God, of course I do. I believe in His love for me. I trust in Him because He loves me. I believe that God is love and that Jesus came to reveal God's love and bring us to eternal life. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I believe this but even as I write this the words from the Gospel are on my lips and in my heart: "Lord, I do believe, help my unbelief."

No comments: