Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

More Thoughts on Prayer


If prayer is a personal response to God's presence, it starts with a deep awareness of that presence. Concentrate on God. His love for us is much more important than our love for Him. Prayer is not thinking about God; it is being with Him. We pray as we can, not as we can't; the best way for us to pray is the way we pray best. Sometimes I speak to God; sometimes I just listen. Words are not necessary so we may just sit in silence and look at each other. We may feel loved and feel a response to this love. Sometimes I am overwhelmed with gratitude and joy in God's presence. At other times I feel only a deep peace. There are, of course, times when one feels nothing and holds on in faith. The point is to let God act in us and surrender ourselves to his love. How does an apple ripen? It just sits in the sun. (I think this is from Thomas Merton.)

Yesterday, someone sent me a card with this quote:
With all your heart you must trust the Lord and not your own judgment. Always let Him lead you, and He will clear the road for you to follow. Proverbs 3:5-6)

No comments: