Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013

Wonderful AASH in Omaha

There were over two hundred Sacred Heart alums gathered in Omaha for the national meeting of the AASH which is held every two years. Two years ago it was in Miami and I received the Woman of Conscience award with my sister, brother-in-law, and many friends present. I thought the alums in Miami did such a great job of planning and everyone was so happy about the meeting that this time might be less exciting, less fun, and less interesting. I was wrong! I have now been to about five of these AASH meetings over the past dozen years and I must say that this one was excellent and perhaps the one I enjoyed the most. I also found Omaha a fascinating city and our tour of the state capitol in Lincoln was one of the highlights of the trip. We were given a great tour of the building with all the lovely art work and mosaics of Hildreth Meiere and then we had a marvelous talk and slide show about Hildreth by her daughter! That was all on the first full day after we had had a general meeting and regional meetings in the morning before boarding our buses for the trip.
On Friday, we were at our school, Duchesne Academy, for the morning panels and talks and a lovely lunch; the afternoon had tours of Omaha past or present. I chose Omaha past and loved seeing the lovely old homes, the cemetery where many of our Religious are buried, and the museum where Union Station was once and now has all sorts of exhibits. Friday night we had the "at home" dinners where different alums host us in their homes. Each takes a certain number and opens her home for the evening. We had a delicious catered dinner where I was and the evening was full of good food and conversation in beautiful surroundings.
I was staying in the house where our Religious live in Omaha and they were so hospitable and made sure we had rides to and from the hotel and events. Saturday we had a gorgeous Mass at the Cathedral and the giving of awards followed by lunch at the hotel and then another tour. I was going on it but wanted to be able to go to another Mass at five on Saturday as I was flying home to Miami on Sunday and it takes a long time as we went to Houston and then to Miami. Saturday night we had a banquet at the zoo!! We walked through a marvelous display of all sorts of fish,  live, lively penguins, and other sea life and as we strolled past a bar, one picked up a drink and then kept meeting waiters with tempting appetizers so it was an interesting walk through these inside exhibits before reaching our beautiful dining room. I guess that is enough for today. I am glad to be home but loved the trip.

No comments: