Search This Blog

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

This is not really a picture of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, but it is a traditional image of Mary that speaks to me of her intercession for all of us. She is a real mother and watches over us. The surest way to the Heart of Jesus is through the Heart of Mary.
I am glad the feast of the Immaculate Heart is the day after the Feast of the Sacred Heart as those two hearts are so closely united that it seems fitting to have the feasts so close together. On the other hand, I think we celebrate the Immaculate Heart of Mary less now. It used to be on August 22 and something we really looked forward to as the summer was ending. Now, it is a quiet day with more time for prayer and that is good.
We had a lovely Mass with all the faculty and staff of our school here in Miami yesterday and then lunch there. The RSCJs in the Miami area also celebrated by going out to dinner. A huge rain storm started after we were safely seated inside for dinner. We all made it home safely but I read in today's paper that some areas were badly flooded. I am still praying with "Jesus: An Historical Approximation" and hope you are reading it. The author is Jose Pagola, a Spanish priest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a child of the Sacred Heart, I have a great devotion to Mater. Possibly I am a little late in coming to my new way to pray the Hail Mary. The first part I am meeting Mary and commenting as I would on meeting any friend. My, you look well, I like your new hair do, how is the family, or it is so good to see you. The last half I am asking her to help me and to intercede for me with her son. Just as I would upon departing from a good friend. It has made the Hail Mary so personal for me.