Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2022

Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows


 Mary had many sorrows and yet she stayed serene and I imagine her as being able to remain calm as she was so united to her Son. Sadness did not cause her to lose peace of soul. I wonder if we are able to accept suffering and death of loved ones with the same serenity. I once had a dream years ago when I was a young nun suffering from a huge disappointment. Mary came to me in that dream and she was crying and told me that it was good to be able to cry and, in my dream, I saw her standing and weeping at the foot of the cross. It was a powerful experience and has stayed with me for more than sixty odd years!

I must share the beginnings of my Bible Group in Mountain View. Since I was asked to start this to help some of the elderly who are in this daycare, I did not know what to expect. Yesterday there was one woman and four men with another two joining the group next time. I let them introduce themselves and each said their age. I was amazed to find that I am older than any of the others! However, I love the group and think I will have fun teaching them many things by telling them Bible stories. I am also happy to have one of my spirituality group who will help as well as drive me back and forth and it is a good half hour from here.

We continue to beautify our patios in preparation for the Open House on Sunday. I think more than 3,000 invitations were sent out. I am sure that we do not expect even a third to come in person, but it is difficult to know how many will come. We are having cooler weather and that will be a big help.

Now for something spiritual to reflect on - this is something that I read and liked from Pedro Arrupe, S.J.:

"More than ever I find myself in the hands of God. This is what I have wanted all my life from my youth.

But now there is a difference; the initiative is entirely with God.

It is indeed a profound spiritual experience to know and feel myself so totally in God's hands."

Our Lady certainly must have felt in God's hands from the beginning; the initiative is from God!

No comments: