Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time


 Since September 11 is remembered for the tragic events that have made most of us remember exactly where we were and what a terrible day it was for all of us, I am sure the Liturgy of today will move us, beginning with the Collect: "Look upon us, O God, Creator and ruler of all things, and, that we may feel the working of your mercy, grant that we may serve you with all our heart."

The first reading is from the Book of Exodus 32: 7-11, 13-14

"The Lord said to Moses, 'Go down at once to or people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt, for they have become depraved....'"

Responsorial Psalm: I will rise and go to my father.

Second reading is from Paul's Letter to Timothy 1:12-17. 

"Beloved: I am grateful to him who has strengthened me, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he considered me trustworthy in appointing me to the ministry.....

The Gospel is from Luke 15:1-32, but the shorter form is 15: 1-10 

Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees and scribes and tells them this parable, "What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it? And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, 'Rejoice with me becase I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance." The longer form has the parable of the woman who has ten coins and loses one of them  and then the Prodigal Son parable.

There is a choice of two Communion Antiphons, both worth my copying here- I think. The first is from Psalm 36: "How precious is your mercy, O God! The children of men seek shelter in the shadow of your wings."

Or from 1 Corinthians 10:16 -"The chalice of blessing that we bless is a comunion in the Blood of Chrsit; and the bread that we break is a sharing in the Body of the Lord.

Let us remember September 11 and pray for peace!



No comments: