Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2022

The value of silence

 


Mother Stuart has this to say about silence and I am sharing this quote today as I think we all need to build silence into our busy lives.

"Without silence, no real purity of heart, no real devotion to the Holy Spirit, no real teaching from God who cannot make His still small voice heard in the talkative soul." 

When I was a novice, I was told to go pray to St. Madeleine Sophie during the morning free time to ask her to teach me the value of silence. I went every single day, although I think the rule of silence was something I guess I did not understand. I often thought during my first year in Chile when I could not speak the language, that God had a good sense of humor and also knew what I needed as I really had to keep silence, even at recreation as the community spoke Spanish and I had arrived without knowing the language. It seems they wanted the children to learn English and thought it would be better not to give me any lessons in Spanish. I learned the third person singular from the children!

We all need to build times of silence into our daily lives so as to hear the voice of God.

No comments: