Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2007

14 Works of Mercy - Can you name them?


This morning, when reading about the ministry of the early Jesuits in John O'Malley's "The First Jesuits", I came across the corporal and spiritual works of mercy. Although I remember memorizing the seven corporal and seven spiritual works, I think I could not have named all of them. The corproal works are easier for they are found in Matthew's Gospel. Easier to remember but harder for me to practice in my daily life!
Corporal Works of Mercy:
1.Feed the hungry
2.Give drink to the thirsty
3.Clothe the naked
4.House the homeless
5.Visit the sick
6.Visit the imprisoned
7.Bury the dead

Spiritual Works of Mercy
1.Give good counsel
2.Teach the ignorant
3.Admonish sinners
4.Console the afflicted
5.Pardon offenses and injuries
6.Bear offenses patiently
7.Pray for the living and the dead

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't name them although I had tried. For some reason the phrase "corporal works of mercy" had been running through my head at stoplights and in the shower.... any time my mind had a chance to wonder. I couldn't help but think it was an invitation by God to look further into these works. I am a member of my local council of the Knights of Columbus and I plan to incorporate these seven tasks in our upcoming year of service. Thank you for posting them here... It was the fulfillment of a message from on high.