Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Pope's new book on Jesus



I bought the new book, "Jesus of Nazareth:From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration" by Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI (Doubleday, 2007). It is a book that is going to be read all over the world both because it is the first book by Benedict XVI and it is an wonderful book about Jesus. It is easy to read but combines scholarship and personal love for Jesus. It is a book to reflect on and pray over the ten chapters. I have not yet read much of it, but love what I have read.

Since the theme this year of the liturgy for the Feast of the Sacred Heart is that of the Shepherd, I turned first to "The Shepherd" under Chapter Eight: The Principal Images of John's Gospel. I found some new insights and know that I will be using this section for prayer. The entire history of the shepherd image is given and Scripture texts from the Old and New Testaments linked, explained, and commented on so that the reading is so rich it needs to be reflected on and prayed over slowly and with reverence for Jesus is present! More about this tomorrow.

No comments: