Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2015

Memories of Chile



I am celebrating with all the Chileans today, their Independence Day. The picture has Chilean horses ridden by the ocean and makes me think of the wonderful days I spent on the beaches in Chile. It is such a beautiful country and the people are so special that I am just grateful for the twenty years I was able to spend as a missionary there. I am grateful for the friendship of so many in all the places I lived and worked in Chile.

I am reflecting today on a quote from this week's "America", the September 14 issue where Gerard O'Connell, in his Vatican Dispatch says that Pope Francis is "a man of dialogue, committed to the culture of encounter, who looks for the best in people and is not judgmental." He has a great deal more to say about the Pope, but I am hoping that I can just try to live the above: to be a woman of dialogue, committed to the culture of encounter, who looks for the best in people and is not judgmental. I feel as if the Holy Spirit wants me to work at this and love the idea of being committed to a culture of encounter.

I wrote about celebrating with the Chileans before I heard about the earthquake. I lived in Coquimbo and so know what damage the fifteen foot waves must have done; Coquimbo is a port and is in the poorest region of Chile. Then, Valparaiso must have also had some damage and all along the coast there would be danger from the waves. I feel for the people there.

No comments: