Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2021

Some thoughts from prayer


 We have tulips blooming in our patio - a real sign that Spring is here. I have been using Father Keating's book, Consenting to God as God is and I have found it helpful for prayer and want to share a few thoughts with you today. I have not yet read the third part which has the title: "Consenting to Transformation According to God's Terms" so I have that to look forward to, but I have underlined quite a bit in the second part which has the title: "Consenting to God in Self-Surrender". 

"Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10) = This is the place of surrender and the complete gift of ourselves to God. When we can reach this stillness, it is refreshing and Keating tells us that we come out of that space feeling energized, loved and at peace. I know this is true and it is one of the reasons that I began Centering Prayer groups years ago.

I do think it is necessary to take time to relax, sink into the presence of God and then just let go of all thoughts. That is easier said than done, but let them be like ships sailing down the river of your mind; do not let them dock! If a thought is important, it will return after you have had your time for just Centering on God. I have tried repeating a word, but what helps me more is to have an image and I just return to the image. 

No comments: