Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Third Sunday of Easter- another late because of a mix-up....

This was supposed to be published last Sunday but I did not realize I actually had it in the wrong month. I guess I am trying to do this too quickly as I have been busy!
 TIn today's Collect for the Mass we are asking that we may exult for ever, in renewed youthfulness of spirit, so that "rejoicing now in the restored glory of our adoption, we may look forward in confident hope to the rejoicing of the day of resurrection."

I love the Gospel which is Luke's version of the first appearance of Jesus to his disciples in the upper room where they are behind locked doors. (Luke 24:35-48) 

Jesus probably waited until the two disciples had returned from Emmaus so they could tell the others how he had walked with them and was made known to them in the breaking of the bread when they had invited Jesus to sup with them. While they were still speaking, Luke tells us that Jesus stood in their midst and said to them, "Peace be with you." But they were terrified and so he said to them, "Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have." And he showed them his hands and his feet. While they were still incredulous for joy and were amazed, he asked them, "Have you anything here to eat?" They gave him a piece of baked fish; he took it and ate it in front of them.

Then Luke tells us that Jesus opened their minds to understand the Scriptures....

I guess I feel that the Risen Lord is still going around to show himself to us in many situations during these forty days after Easter. Let us not be afraid to meet Jesus in whatever way He comes to us, but let us enter into His joy! I am looking back over each day during our evening prayer in Westwood to see how Jesus has been present and to be grateful that He is still going around to console us - we need to pray for eyes to see, to recognize how He still comes to us.

No comments: