Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2013

A Week of Feasts


Today is a double holiday! Canadian Thanksgiving Day and Columbus Day. Both days bring some memories and it is good to rejoice in the union of the United States Province with Canada. My community is looking forward to having a Canadian Religious of the Sacred Heart arrive on November 1 to stay with us.
The twenty years I spent in Chile made me aware that the Spanish celebrate October 12, not as Chistopher Columbus Day but as the day of Spanish race. When I only 12 years old , I wanted to read one of my father's "Book of the Month Club" books. The book I wanted to read was "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" but my Dad told me I should first read another "Book of the Month" - it was a huge life of Christopher Columbus! I was soon learning about his life in Italy and then caught up into the history of Spain, and ships, and then his voyages. When I finished it, I did read "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" and cried for I found it sad.
This is a week of feasts with great saints so stay tuned as tomorrow we celebrate Saint Teresa of Avila! 
Then we have St. Margaret Mary, St. Ignatius of Antioch, St. Luke, St. John de Brebeuf, Issac Jogues and Companions, and Mater. Mater is a feast for all those connected with the Society of the Sacred Heart and you can read a daily reflection this month with a different picture of Mater on our website - rscj.org 
Tomorrow I will speak about a couple of new books that I have and am trying to read.

No comments: