Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Feast of St. Teresa of Avila

Teresa is one of the great mystics of the sixteenth century. Her writings are still read for their wisdom and her explanation of different levels of prayer. Her "Interior Castle" is a classic and I love her "Life"; she had great common sense, spiritual wisdom, and energy. She founded convents for the reformed Carmelites all over Spain. I had the joy of teaching a course in Spain on the Spanish mystics and taking the students to Avila. Here is a quote I like: "“A sad nun is a bad nun,” she said. “I am more afraid of one unhappy sister than a crowd of evil spirits….What would happen if we hid what little sense of humor we had? Let each of us humbly use this to cheer others.”
She had a good sense of humor herself and was really a remarkable woman who is also a Doctor of the Church!
I promised to speak about new books that I have bought and have begun to read. I will do this tomorrow.

No comments: