Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The gift of faith



Because of the gift of faith, I have never doubted that we will rise from the dead and live eternally. When discussing this Sunday's Gospel, I realized that we know very little about what happens after death. We talk about a particular judgment, then a general judgment, of being reunited with out bodies in a glorified state, etc. I think speculative theology has tried to envision what happens after death and yet no one really knows. I just believe that I am made for God and that death will unite me with God for all eternity and that I will have everlasting happiness. God made us to be happy with Him for all eternity. I realize that it is a gift to have a strong faith in the resurrection and I am grateful. I cannot imagine what it would be like not to believe in life after death. I am not sure about the purification needed to see God face to face, but I suspect that purgatory, in some form or other, exists and so I pray for the poor souls, especially in November, and I think it is always right to pray for all those who have died before us.

Today my invocation from the litany of the Sacred Heart is "Sacred Heart of Jesus, to your gentleness and peace, I unite myself." I am trying to do this today and hope the gentleness and peace of Jesus will radiate from me. It is not always easy to radiate gentleness and peace, but it is important and Jesus gives us the example.

No comments: