Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Jesu-Maum Prayer



Today I am going to tell you about the Jesu-Maum Prayer or Journey through the Heart of Jesus Prayer. It comes from one of our Sisters in Korea who has written a book about it. Maum means Heart in Korean and this Jesu-Maum Prayer uses the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus which I have been using this past month for prayer and which I am beginning to use again. The book was published in 2010 and is available from St. Pauls in Seoul, Korea. http://www.paolo.net. The title is Jesu-Maum Prayer: Christian Contemplation in an Eastern Way.by Kwon Min-Ja, RSCJ.

"Jesu-Maum Prayer is a prayer through which we intend to strive to unite our heart with the Heart of Jesus and to consecrate our whole mind, effort and energy to God, trusting in the guidance of the Holy Spirit. In short, it is a prayer that brings us into union with the Triune God. We practice the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a prayer of simplicity, to unite our heart with the Heart of Jesus."

Kwon Min-Ja has given many retreats to teach others about this prayer; she gives retreats of five days, eight days, and forty day retreats. I tried going through the Litany one phrase a day and found this very fruitful. I mostly stayed with the phrase during my morning prayer and then tried repeating it often throughout the day; it worked for me so I am beginning the Litany again and intend this time to stay with a phrase more than one day, if so moved by the Spirit. Tomorrow I will post the entire Litany and then I will be away so after tomorrow I will write a blog for the 2nd Sunday of Advent and tell you about my mini-retreat then. Please do not forget to pray for my friend in Scotland; she has a brain tumor and is getting worse and is now snowed in and in the hands of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This prayer seems to be a shorcut to the union with Christ.
By interiorising the verses of the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus we become more and more able to forget ourselves and the words finally will realize what they express...
May many people enjoy this valuable means of union with God.